Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Imagination

You know those times with your friends when everything is funny to the point where you almost  pee your pants? I feel like there were a lot of those moments during Jr. High sleep overs around 2 am when the soda "suicide" punch had gone flat and we were in the process of putting someones underwear in the freezer. Well that was last night, and most Tuesday nights, for the ladies in my bible study. Except we are in our 30's and we were in a sandwich shop and it was 6 pm instead of 2 am. And no frozen underwear. There was nothing in particular we were laughing at. Two of us (and yes I was one of them:) kept taking bites of chocolate cake and smearing it all over teeth to reveal a corroded grin. So funny right? Well in our defense it was the end of the day for us and we were deliriously tired from keeping small children alive all day. But it just felt so good to laugh hard and be free and silly. Those moments are just a glimpse of heaven on earth.

Our topic of discussion last night, once we got the cake smearing over with, was about imagination and what a powerful and wonderful gift it is. To picture what we hope for is an amazing part of our spiritual walk. God desires for us to use the gift to inspire, encourage, and put ideas in motion as it pertains to bringing His Kingdom to the here and now.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:1

I feel that this scripture is indicating that faith and imagination go hand in hand. Dreaming and seeing things manifest in the natural can cause our faith to grow stronger. It gives us a leg to stand on in hopes for the future. We receive a positive experience now, and then continue to be encouraged about what is to come. I have read so many articles and stories about people "visualizing" end results such as their tumors shrinking, interviews turning into job offers, relationships turning into marriages, winning a certain race or sporting event, etc. God designed this intentionally to inspire hope and action!

There can be the opposite effect though in terms of imagination turning dark and being fed by negative thoughts and pictures. Satan uses this time and time again to derail and distance us from others as well as our Father. But the truth is, God is always so near, that one command of "thought go, in Jesus Name!" will send that picture out the door. God is good and lovely. The world and Satan are opposite. Take hold of what is good and lovely and let it flourish.

I have always had a pretty active imagination. I would develop elaborate stories in my mind during my childhood that offered hours of entertainment while I played. As an adult, I dreamed of my wedding day, graduating from college, my first teaching job, my first home, etc. Now my mind wanders to thoughts of my children and watching their love for God develop and thrive. I specifically have visions of N coming home to us, and watching her and M and L run gleefully through the grass under a clear blue sky. And there is so much joy and laughter!

I enjoy the here and now so much as well. Right now I am watching two boys drive a fire truck and a taco truck (anyone seen Turbo?) around the living room. They are laughing and acting out a story from their imagination. It is a story filled with fun and adventure. It is gift from their Father. The present is so sweet as well as what is to come. I hope to savor both and let my imagination run wild for Him:)

No comments:

Post a Comment