Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fear

"Hey M, L, come look at this snake!" 

This came from my husband as he was starting to take the dogs out to go potty yesterday evening. Of course my boys scrambled to get out there as fast as they could. Me? Not so much.

So M comes back in and tells me that the snake is 6 ft long. I'm thinking this is a slight exaggeration but I play along. But then my husband confirms that this is an accurate statement. Awesome. 

So I go out and stand an appropriate distance away (like on the third floor landing of our apartment building) and watch this creature slowly slink back into the foliage in front of our complex. Again, awesome.

So this morning, this scene comes flooding back to me as I take my dog Blue out for a quick poop and a run. To say that my heart was racing is an understatement. Although I could not see the snake, I knew he was there and I was convinced he was going to jump out and attack me. Never mind that he was a gopher snake and could care less about me. I was convinced that he wanted nothing more than to  annihilate me:) 

Silly right? Well, it got me thinking about what God's take is on fear. 


Deuteronomy 31:6 
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you. 


Psalm 27:1 
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? 


Isaiah 41:10 
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 


2 Timothy 1:7 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 

Did God have snake heebie jeebies in mind when these were written? Perhaps. But the truth is, fear can be crippling and keep us from ever truly walking in all that He has promised us. Fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of man, etc. It's a wonder we ever leave our homes. But all of these fears are no match for our Heavenly Father. He always has us wrapped up safely. And with this knowledge and understanding, we are able to forge ahead with confidence and build His Kingdom here on earth. Amen!













No comments:

Post a Comment