Friday, May 16, 2014

Identity

"M and L, you don't need to hit each other. Jesus lives in you. You are kind and loving." This phrase is a common one in our home. And my husband is always saying to the boys- "Who are you? You are sons of God." 

Up until about a year ago I did not agree with these statements. My children had not really professed faith, said the "prayer", or asked for forgiveness. I was tortured from the first positive that came up on my pregnancy test with M. How in the world am I going to get my kids to accept Jesus? And then the even more ominous question, what if they don't?



Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.


This is a pretty bold statement because the enemy can slip in with scenarios that start with " but what if...". And to that I say no. There is no "what if." Jesus reigns in our household and each of our lives. Period.

So we have changed our tune from, "Someday if you choose to ask Jesus into your heart..." to "Jesus lives in you and you are a son of God." We are making a statement of faith that we know our Heavenly Father honors and desires for our boys.

My children's salvation does not rest in my hands. Thank you Jesus! What a huge responsibility. It is already overwhelming enough as it is to be a parent, but you add saving your kiddos souls to the mix, well forget about it. So the pressure is off. And all we do is speak love and truth over our boys. We teach them their identity in Christ.



Psalm 139:13-16 
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.


Ephesians 2:10 
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.


Galatians 4:6-7 
Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

The list of verses about identity go on and on. So we speak this over in children constantly. Kind of like the Little Engine That Could. But instead of "I think I can" and "I thought I could" we profess over them,"You are a son of God" until they can state "I am a son of God."  

My mom has shared that she does not remember the time or place when she became a believer because she cannot remember ever not believing in Christ. I desire this for our children as well. What a joy and honor it is to speak life over our kids. And to hear it come from them is an amazing blessing as well. Thank you Jesus!



No comments:

Post a Comment