Monday, June 2, 2014

Burdens

Yesterday my friends and I were talking about things we could not believe that our parents let us do when we were kids. It prompted me to think of how I used to take river rocks and put them in my bathing suit so I would be weighed down enough to sit on the bottom of my pool. My mom would get after me because she was concerned that I would make holes in my swimsuit:) Drowning? Not so much.

But I remember the weight of each rock as I would load up my swim suit. And I remember juggling and balancing and holding them all in, trying to not let them fall out as I struggled into the pool. It was crazy. Why did I want to do that? To see if I could?

Carrying our burdens around seems a lot like juggling those river rocks. They weigh us down. They hurt something awful when they fall and land on your toes. They can prevent you from being free and enjoying life.

But God is very clear that we are not meant to carry these burdens. They were placed on His Son 2,000 years ago and demolished for all eternity.

Matthew 11:28-30

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”




22 Psalm 55:22


Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.




John 16:33




"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”







We are not designed to struggle when things get heavy. God has made it clear time and time again that He loves us and He wants to take care of us. And isn't it about time that we let Him. So lay down your burdens. Quit filling your swimsuit with rocks. And let Him set you free!

No comments:

Post a Comment